Beauty Secrets - A Natural Fem Wash
Taking care of our skin and body extends to all parts of ourselves – not just that which is visible, such as the face. This means that a safe and gentle natural Fem Wash is an overlooked yet incredibly valuable skin care product to own! It is important to look after this sensitive area using premium natural products, to ensure we treat it gently.
The benefits of a natural Fem Wash for women are huge. These include:
- Promoting a clean intimate area
- Supporting vaginal health, assisting protection from inflammations and odours
- Calms and soothes skin before and after waxing
- Maintains pH balance using natural ingredients
Made in New Zealand, our premium natural Fem Wash is formulated for all skin types including sensitive skin, can be used during menstruation, pregnancy, while breast-feeding and ticks all the boxes. This natural formulation is soap free and formulated to a natural healthy PH balance to support the skin’s defences.
Designed to be used daily, this mild, antifungal soap-free natural Fem Wash is carefully crafted with some of nature’s finest ingredients to gently cleanse and protect, providing long lasting freshness. Along with calendula (a natural antiseptic), aloe vera, cranberry and rosehip, these natural ingredients work together to assist in soothing and calming irritated skin.
Olivia and the team.
Spring Skincare Tips - Natural Skincare
With the onset of Spring and warmer weather, people often change their wardrobes in favour of lighter layers, yet many neglect to realise that the same must be done with your skincare. Typically, the introduction of Spring means warmer and increasingly humid days. Naturally your skin will cope differently to this weather, compared to how it did perhaps in the cold dry climate of winter.
Here are a few of our tips to change your natural skincare regime during Spring:
SPF – increase in sunshine hours and longer days mean your face will be exposed to more of the sun’s rays. It is so important to adopt a natural moisturiser with a higher SPF content to protect your skin! By using SPF under your makeup each day, your skin will have an effective barrier against the penetrating rays of the sun. Try to go for a natural, plant based SPF moisturiser that won’t clog your pores and cause breakouts.
Lighter moisturiser – as the weather get warmer and more humid, your skin is likely to naturally sweat and produce more oils. It is recommended that you use a lighter moisturiser or serum than the one you used during winter.
Toner – using a light and refreshing toner to reduce shine, brighten skin and refine your pores is a must as it starts to get warmer. Aim to use an alcohol-free, natural and balancing toner that can be spritzed on your skin to hydrate and cool throughout the day.
Exfoliate – if you spring clean your house, why not spring clean your skin? Whereas in winter, your skin is drier and more sensitive, you could begin to exfoliate using a natural exfoliator during springtime more often. This removes old layers of skin and leaves your skin feeling fresh!
Most importantly, get out and enjoy the sunshine.
Olivia and the team.
Plant Based Beauty and You
For centuries, people have been extracting and using the numerous benefits of natural plant based beauty products and ingredients – whether that be for diet, health or their skin benefits. Plant based beauty extracts used in beauty products such as ours can do wonders for the skin! Below is a list of just a few of the plant based extracts we use in our products, and the benefits of them.
- White Tea – anti-aging, eases inflammation and soothes irritation.
- Manuka Honey – natural antimicrobial that is powerfully soothing, calming, moisturising, protecting and promotes healthy skin.
- Blackcurrant seed oil – rich in essential fatty acids, anti-aging, renewing and rejuvenating.
- Pomegranate – one of nature’s best anti-aging antioxidants that nourishes, restores and replenishes.
- Fig – deeply hydrating, especially ideal for sensitive skin.
- Avocado –one of natures true wonders that's anti-aging, fast absorbing, uber-nourishing, softening and protecting.
- Aloe vera – soothing, anti-fungal and antibacterial. Assists in calming irritated skin, skin infections and promoting healthy skin.
- Rosehip – super rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that nourish, revitalise, heal and protect skin. It also assists in evening out skin tone and targeting fine lines.
Instead of looking at a label of your skincare product and having no clue as to what you are putting on your face, wouldn’t you rather know that you are providing your skin with the best natural and plant-based support? We at Savar are such big advocates for providing yourself with the best possible support - including a plant based diet, skincare regime and healthy lifestyle!
Olivia and the team x
Savar Plant Based Skincare
Benefits of a Plant-Based Natural Night Cream
We’ve said it before, and will say it again – a good night time plant based natural skincare routine is so important. Cleansing effectively using a natural cleanser to rid your face of all the make-up and dirt accumulated during the day, and then using a plant based natural toner to make sure no cleanser is left are both very important steps. However, arguably the most important step of all is finding and using the right natural night cream suited to your skin type.
Using a natural night cream that not only agrees with your skin type (as a rule of thumb, the more oil in your skin, the less you want in a moisturiser and vice versa) but actually works to improve it can make the most significant difference to your overall skin health.
At night, our body starts doing all the things it couldn’t do when active during the day, including replacing lost moisture. This is the most optimum time to supply it with the right tools to treat skin issues effectively. If you’re applying a good natural night cream before you go to bed, your body doesn’t need to waste any time on replacing lost moisture, so it can instead focus on repairing wrinkle/blemish/pigmentation causing damage and keeping your skin happy.
Therefore, it’s absolutely essential that you not only find a good night cream, but also that you apply it every night and help your body give you the best skin it can. Well moisturised skin is healthy, glowy, dewy and blemish-free, and who wouldn’t want skin like that?
Olivia and the team
Rosehip Ultra Brightening Serum - Ideal For All Skin Types
Ever wondered what the difference is between a natural moisturiser and a natural facial serum? While both moisturise, the main difference is that a natural hydrating moisturiser hydrates the skin and puts a protective barrier between it and the environment. Meanwhile, a natural facial serum such as our Savar Rosehip Ultra Brightening Serum, usually contains higher concentrations of skin benefiting ingredients and is specially formulated to penetrate deep within the skin’s layers.
In short, a natural facial serum offers a super charged boost to your normal beauty routine. Think of it as helping to provide the infrastructure for beautiful skin. For best results, adopt a serum as part of your skincare routine, using our natural Rosehip Ultra Brightening Serum twice a day under your moisturiser. You will be amazed at the difference!
Rich in anti-ageing botanical extracts and oils, including the potent New Zealand blackcurrant seed oil (which is exceptionally rich in essential fatty acids) our Savar Rosehip Ultra Brightening Serum brightens, rejuvenates and protects facial skin.
This natural serum is also ideal for sensitive skin and full of super anti-ageing ingredients – you can expect beautifully soft, glowing, healthy skin in no time.
Olivia and the team x
Dry skin or oily skin - Identifying your skin type
With many different natural beauty products aimed at different skin types, it is essential to know what products are best for your skin.
Dry Skin –when your skin begins to feel dry (whether due to stress, climate, allergies among other things), this is actually your skin showing signs of dehydration. Your skin is not effectively producing enough oil to keep it supple and smooth. If you have dry skin your skin may be sensitive and you may notice flaky skin when examined closely. Skin can feel tight and rough, and look dull. This is because your skin produces less sebum than normal, therefore doesn’t retain moisture or build protective shields as effectively as normal skin.
Dry skin is a long-term skin issue that needs to be addressed with a suitable natural skincare routine and premium quality skincare products, as well as extra pampering treatments, such as a moisture boosting mask and plenty of nightly moisturiser.
Oily skin – when your skin produces too much sebum/oil. If you have oily skin you may notice that it has a glossy shine, and invisible pores. Oily skin can be caused by a number of things, including genetics, hormonal imbalances, medication or stress.
It is Important to remember that even oily skin needs regular moisturising. However, you should seek out a moisturiser that is specifically formulated for oily skin. It is recommended that you use a natural face wash and a light toner instead of a heavier cream cleanser, to ensure no residue is left to block your pores. You should also avoid anything harsh that completely strips oil from your skin – as your skin will overcompensate by producing more! The key is to follow a regular routine including a thorough cleanse, a balancing and residue removing toner and calming natural moisturiser.
Combination skin – this is when your skin is a combination of skin types. You may be oily in the T-zone, and dry or normal on your cheeks.
Remember that there is no one universal answer – everybody’s skin type is slightly different. It is critical that you identify your skin type and treat it accordingly!
Olivia and the team x
Beauty Tips and Tricks to get the most use of your Natural Skincare Toner
We absolutely love our Natural Instant Boost Multi Toner, and couldn’t imagine life without it. We want to share with you the different ways it can be used, to ensure you get just as much enjoyment from it as we do. Here are the ways we love to use our Savar Natural Skincare Toner:
- Immediately after cleansing: it makes sure that every trace of make-up and cleanser has been removed so there’s no remaining film. It also effectively prepares our skin for the next essential step of our skincare routine, which is moisturising.
- To cool down: sometimes a cold drink just isn’t enough to help us stay cool, so rather than mess around trying to splash our faces with water, we use a quick spritz of toner to calm, cool and sooth our flustered faces.
- Setting make-up: we at Savar love everything natural and that philosophy extends to our feelings about make-up. We love to look fresh-faced and naturally beautiful, so after we’ve applied our make-up, we gently mist our faces with natural toner which allows a gentle glow to come through and stops the heavy make-up look.
- Correcting make-up mistakes: sometimes, when we’re in a hurry, we can make silly mistakes like applying too much blusher or overdoing the concealer. Rather than wiping it all off and starting again, we use a clean make-up brush spritzed with natural skincare toner to softly blend in the mistake.
- Mask removal: whether you have dry or oily skin, you should ideally be using a natural mask treatment on a weekly basis to give your skin the boosting care it needs. Some masks can be tricky to remove. Once your mask has been on the recommended time, rather than attempting to rub or scrub it off, mist it all over with your toner which will melt it down, making it a lot easier to remove, then just wipe it off.
Olivia and the team x
Hands, necks and the skin around the eyes are the three areas that show the earliest signs of ageing, which is why it’s essential we look after these three areas with the best ingredients we can get our hands on! It’s so easy to focus on facial skin and neglect these other areas. Therefore, it’s worth investing a bit of time and effort into maintaining the skin using a natural eye cream. As we’ve mentioned before, the key to healthy and radiant skin is a regular skincare regime using natural skincare (coupled of course with a healthy diet and regular sleep). Here are some suggestions on how to keep the skin around your eyes healthy and nourished:
- Use a good natural eye cream that leaves your skin feeling plump and moisturised. Our Savar Natural Wonder Lift Eye Cream is ultra nourishing, enriched with premium anti-aging extracts and oils to help firm the skin, and assist with the dark circles around your eyes. This eye cream is ideal for sensitive skin types, as is fragrance free!
- When you do your weekly facial, consider applying a thick layer of natural eye cream on the skin around the eyes during the mask phase which should give the skin a good moisture boost.
- Wear sunglasses! Not just because they protect from sun damage from UVA and UVB rays, but also because you’re prone to squinting in bright light which wrinkles the skin around your eyes.
- Be gentle when you apply your natural eye cream, as the skin around the eye is incredibly delicate. Gently pat it in rather than rub it and never pull at or drag the skin.
These are just a few of the very easy ways you can keep the skin around your eyes happy and youthful looking for as long as possible.
Olivia and the team x
Knowing the best natural skincare beauty tips and tricks is a great way to keep your skin healthy and radiant! The key is a combination of a great natural skincare routine and eating and drinking the right kinds of healthy foods, to keep your skin looking smoother and younger for longer. Plant based skincare and diets are becoming more and more popular.
One of our favourite tricks is to use a plant based moisture mask at least two or three times a week, as well as the daily beauty routine of cleansing, toning and moisturising. Whether you have dry skin or oily skin, you should ideally be using a moisture mask treatment to give your skin the boosting care it needs.
A moisture mask, such as our Natural Hydrating Antioxidant Moisture Mask, will smooth out the fine lines by hydrating, nourishing and restoring moisture levels in your face. Fabulous for sensitive, dry and mature skin, this gentle and incredibly nourishing natural skin care moisture treatment helps restore and strengthen the skin’s protective barrier function to reduce pollution penetration – not to mention leaving your skin feel soft, supple and glowing!
To use any moisture mask, simply apply an even layer to the skin with finger tips (avoiding eye area). Leave on this antioxidant packed goodness for 15 to 25 minutes or better still over night, then remove with a damp cloth or massage excess cream into your facial skin.
Olivia and the team x
Natural facial cleanser versus soap – what’s the difference?
Natural facial cleaners are specially formulated for the delicate skin on your face. They usually have a low pH, are therefore more acidic and will not upset your skin's unique acid coating. Soaps, on the other hand, have a high pH and are more alkaline. High alkaline products are more likely to irritate your skin.
If you have dry sensitive skin it is even more important that you use a natural facial cleanser cream instead of soap to remove your cosmetics. A cream is especially good for dry skin because it is formulated to help restore a natural moisture balance. Best of all is to ensure that your facial cleanser cream is natural and plant-based - to avoid using something that may react with your skin.
Most facial cleansing creams are mild but still have the cleaning action needed to remove facial oil from oily skin. But, unlike soap, their superior cleaning properties will not dry out sensitive or aging skin. They really are the perfect cleaning tool for any skin type and far superior to soap.
Why use facial cleanser creams instead of soap?
- They are formulated especially for your face.
- They are made for all skin types.
- They not only clean but nourish your skin.
Olivia and the team x